Stars & Stripes Picnic
July 3, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. | Museum and Memorial Grounds open at 3 p.m.
Come celebrate Independence Day with us! The Museum and Memorial, in partnership with Cumulus Radio, invites the public to gather on the south side of the Museum for the Stars and Stripes Picnic. Bring your friends and family to listen to music, grab a bite to eat from a local food truck (or bring your own spread) and enjoy our iconic grounds. The main event will begin at 6:30 p.m.; the public can gather as early as 3 p.m. for picnicking and shopping. A fireworks display will begin after dusk and last around 20 minutes. FREE to the public.
The Schedule of Events will be updated often, so check back!
Schedule of Events
3 – 6:30 p.m.
There will be a Kids Corner with:
- Aunt Nancy's Face Art (face painting for children and adults)
- Bombshell Balloons (balloon art)
- Essential Henna (henna artist)
- MCEnterprises (giant blinky lights, lightsabers, masks)
- Taste of Brazil – Brazilian food
- Scimeca’s Italian Sausages – sausages and lemonade
- Touring Taps – beer and wine
- Hawaiian Ice – shaved ice
- Jack's Kettle Corn – lemonade, popcorn, Dippin’ Dots, cotton candy
- The Waffler – waffles
- Ying’s Thai Foods – Thai food
- Ragusa's KC – Italian crepes and soda
- Coco Loco Grill – Mexican food
- Tasty Unicorn KC – hand-dipped ice cream
- Nikki G’s Soul Food Bistro – soul food
- Taste of Kansas City BBQ – classic BBQ
- The Melt Truck – grilled cheese, mac ‘n cheese, nachos
- Da Poke Wagon – Hawaiian food
- One More Scoop – homemade ice cream
- Conut Factory – Hungarian sweet and savory pastries
- Spice Queens – gourmet burgers and eats
- Pita for Good – Eastern Mediterranean food
- KC Whip and Company – whipped pineapple treats
- Dog Fathers Hot Dog Mob – hot dogs
- The Rub – BBQ
- Barkville Bakery – dog treats and cookies
6:30 – 10 p.m.
The official program begins at 6:30 on the Museum and Memorial’s Walk of Honor. Local on-air personality Hartzell Gray will MC the event:
- Presentation of Colors by the Navy Color Guard
- National Anthem performed by the Navy Band Great Lakes Brass Ambassadors
- 11 members of the Navy Leap Frogs will parachute the American flag into the event
- Fireworks – 20-minute display
You are welcome to bring your leashed dog to the Great Balloon Glow. Please pick up after your pet!
In anticipation of large crowds, we recommend parking further away and taking the Downtown KC Streetcar to the Union Station stop. There is FREE parking available near the North Loop stops at 601 Main and 711 Main. Additionally, KC Streetcar has several maps that highlight parking garages near the route.
Complimentary ADA parking is available at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City – 1 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO 64108. The entrance is off Wyandotte Street and parking is first come, first served.
Paid parking is available for $10 (cash only) at Hallmark’s surface lots #10, 11 and 12. All three lots are at 27th and Grand. If they fill, parking will move to lots #32 and 33 at 27th Terrace and McGee Trafficway.
Paid parking is also available at Union Station for $10 (cash only). Parking fees will be collected upon entry to help speed the flow of exiting.
Please do not use Crown Center garages.