Stars and Stripes Picnic
July 3, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. | Museum and Memorial Grounds open at 3 p.m.
Come celebrate Independence Day with us! The Museum and Memorial, in partnership with Cumulus Radio, invites the public to gather on the south side of the Museum for the Stars and Stripes Picnic. Bring your friends and family to grab a bite to eat, shop local vendors, listen to live music, watch members of the Navy Parachute Team "The Leap Frogs" parachute into the event and enjoy fireworks over the Memorial. The main event will begin at 6:30 p.m.; the public can gather as early as 3 p.m. for picnicking and shopping. A fireworks display will begin after dusk and last around 20 minutes. FREE to the public.
Schedule of Events
3 – 6:30 p.m.
Other kid-friendly merchants and activities include:
- Aunt Nancy's Face Art (face painting for children and adults)
- Bombshell Balloons (balloon art)
- Essential Henna (henna artist)
- MCEnterprises (giant blinky lights, lightsabers, masks)
- Misting tent for cooling off
- Taste of Brazil – Brazilian food
- Scimeca’s Italian Sausages – sausages and lemonade
- Touring Taps – beer and wine
- Hawaiian Ice – shaved ice
- Jack's Kettle Corn – lemonade, popcorn, Dippin’ Dots, cotton candy
- The Waffler – waffles
- Ying’s Thai Foods – Thai food
- Ragusa's KC – Italian crepes and soda
- Coco Loco Grill – Mexican food
- Tasty Unicorn KC – hand-dipped ice cream
- Nikki G’s Soul Food Bistro – soul food
- Taste of Kansas City BBQ – classic BBQ
- The Melt Truck – grilled cheese, mac ‘n cheese, nachos
- Da Poke Wagon – Hawaiian food
- One More Scoop – homemade ice cream
- Conut Factory – Hungarian sweet and savory pastries
- Spice Queens – gourmet burgers and eats
- Pita for Good – Eastern Mediterranean food
- KC Whip and Company – whipped pineapple treats
- The Hungry Hatch – healthy bowls, wraps, sandwiches
- The Rub – BBQ
- Barkville Bakery – dog treats and cookies
6:30 – 10 p.m.
The official program begins at 6:30 on the Museum and Memorial’s Walk of Honor. Local on-air personality Hartzell Gray will MC the event:
- Presentation of Colors by the Navy Color Guard
- National Anthem performed by the Navy Band Great Lakes: Brass Ambassadors
- Members of the Navy Parachute Team "The Leap Frogs" will parachute the American flag into the event to kick off the evening.
- Performances by:
- Members of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and U.S. Air Force Thunderbird teams will be introduced after Emma Jo and the Wild Division, and then will mingle with the crowd, answer questions and take photos.
- Fireworks – 20-minute display
The fireworks will be launched from the North Lawn. Therefore crowds will only be permitted on the South side of the Museum and Memorial. This event marks the first time in two decades that fireworks have been launched from this location!
You are welcome to bring your leashed dog to the event. Please pick up after your pet!
There will be 105 portable restrooms located on the south side of the Museum and Memorial, including ADA options.
Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Great Balloon Glow, organizers are planning for a similar turnout and have dramatically increased the number of food trucks, vendors and restrooms.
In anticipation of large crowds, we recommend parking further away and taking the Downtown KC Streetcar to the Union Station stop. There is FREE parking available near the North Loop stops at 601 Main and 711 Main. Additionally, KC Streetcar has several maps that highlight parking garages near the route.
Complimentary ADA parking is available at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City – 1 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO 64108. The entrance is off Wyandotte Street and parking is first come, first served.
Paid parking is available for $10 (cash only) at Hallmark’s surface lots #10, 11 and 12. All three lots are at 27th and Grand. If they fill, parking will move to lots #32 and 33 at 27th Terrace and McGee Trafficway.
Paid parking is also available at Union Station for $10 (cash only). Parking fees will be collected upon entry to help speed the flow of exiting.
Please do not use Crown Center garages.